box score Cedar Falls, Iowa — UNI led from start to finish and held back a late push by Southern Illinois at home Saturday as the Panthers beat Saluki 69-57 in Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) play. The Panthers set a record 8-8 season, and he improved to 4-2 in the league.
Battled against MVC’s second-best scoring defense, the Panthers held the SIU to an average of less than 59.8 points allowed per game for the season. UNI has not allowed Saluki to score more than his 60 inside the McLeod Center since 2008.
The Panthers got off to a hot start again with a 7-0 run, making five 3-pointers in the opening stanza to start the game. Landon WolfWhile Saluki dominated the Panthers in the early paint, UNI was able to turn a profit by scoring 11 points from 8 SIU turnovers. Bowen Bourne He made a perfect 5-5 attempt from the free-throw line and scored 12 first-half points. Titan Anderson He pulled down 5 rebounds for 7 points as UNI took a 35-29 lead going into halftime.
UNI held preseason First Team All-MVC forward Marcus Domasque to just 4 points in the first 35 minutes of play, with SIU shooting 33.3% from the floor and significantly slowing Saluki’s offense from the first period. SIU closed the gap with 12 free throws in the second half, cutting the Panthers’ lead to just his two with just over three minutes remaining. UNI’s defense stepped up to the challenge and held Saluki scoreless for his last two minutes and 40 seconds as the Panthers chilled the game with a charity stripe.
Bourne had a game-high 27 points and 3 rebounds in the win, while Anderson recorded his seventh double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds in the final stats. Wolf dropped his eight points and recorded a career-high three steals in the win at UNI. cole henry He scored 4 of 7 points in the second half with a career-high 12 rebounds. Michael Duax When Trey Campbell Each scored 6 points for the Panthers James Betts Finished with 5 points.
- UNI closed its all-time series record with a win over Salukis on Saturday. SIU leads the series 38-36. The Panthers are 24-9 at home against Southern Illinois.
- SIU’s seven-game win streak heading into Saturday afternoon was the longest active streak in MVC.
- The Panthers dominated the rebounding battle against Saluki, outscoring SIU 35-25, 10-3 on the offensive board.
- bowen bones The 27-point effort ties the third-highest scoring game of his career. rice field.
- Titan Anderson He leads MVC with seven double-doubles this season.
- Landon Wolf As part of his eight-point performance, he scored his career 100 points on Saturday.
The Panthers will return home on Tuesday, January 10, to face MVC rookie Murray State in the first-ever meeting between the two programs. Tip-off is scheduled inside the McLeod Center at 7 p.m., and the game will be broadcast live on his PSN/ESPN+ and Panther Sports radio networks.