Knoxville, Tennessee. — guard guard sirjabali rice Despite posting a season-high 21 points, 10/10 Texas (17-4, 6-2 Big 12) made an 81-71 decision in 4/4 Tennessee (18-3, 7-1 SEC). bottom. Saturday night at the Thompson Bowling Arena. This competition was part of the 10th Annual SEC/Big 12 Challenge.
UT fell 10-3 under interim head coach’s leadership Rodney TerryThe Longhorns had a 44-3 advantage in bench scoring and a 16-2 margin in fast-break points, while the Volunteers had a plus 15 rebound margin (38-23) and a 40-versus-1 in paint points. Recorded 28 advantages.
Rice made 8 of 16 field goals (9 of 3 from 3) and 2 of 4 from 3 in 31 minutes.graduation Marcus Kerr Graduated with 11 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals in 33 minutes brock cunningham He added 11 points with 3/4 field goals (1/1 3) and 4/5 free throws in 16 minutes.
For the first 9 minutes, Alterio Morris A three-pointer evened the score at 17-17 at the 10:44 mark. The Volunteers built a 26-17 advantage with a 9-0 run over the next three minutes following a Josiah-Jordan James jumper with 7:15 remaining.
Ah christian bishop A free throw narrowed the margin to 33-24 at the 2:30 mark, but Tennessee scored five straight points after a pair of Zakai Zeigler free throws with 1:48 remaining to increase the cushion to 38-24. rice field. The Rice jumper with 45 seconds left cut the deficit to 40-28 at the break.
A Kerr jumper reduced the margin to 46-35 at the 17:01 mark, but the Volunteers continued with a 15-4 run over the next three minutes, with a 61-39 advantage following a Santiago Vescobi 3-pointer at 13. built. : 50 remaining. Texas quickly answered with an 11-2 spurt in the next three and a half minutes after Rice’s 3-pointer at the 10:07 mark, cutting the margin to 63-50.
An Olivier Nkamuwa dunk gave the Volunteers a 69-53 lead with 6:55 remaining, but the Longhorns followed Kerr’s jumper with five straight points at the 6:06 mark to take it within 69-58. rose to Two free throws from Rice with 37 seconds remaining put Texas within 10 points (81-71).
Texas will be back in action on Monday, January 30 when it hosts No. 17/17 Baylor. Tips will be set at the central Moody Center at 8 p.m., and the game will be televised nationally by ESPN.
texas basketball postgame notes
#4/4 Tennessee 82, #10/10 Texas 71
January 28, 2023
Thompson Bowling Arena (Knoxville, Tennessee)
Number of visitors: 21,678 (sold out)
- UT is 10-3 under interim head coach leadership Rodney Terry.
- The Longhorns are 5-3 this season away from Austin. This includes his 3 wins and 2 losses in his games as a true lord.
- Texas went 4-5 in nine appearances in the Big 12/SEC Challenge.
- The Longhorns recorded a 44-3 advantage on the bench score and a 16-2 margin on fast break points.
- Texas recorded 17 assists for just 9 turnovers that night.
- The Longhorns led 43-42 and scored 48.4% (15-31) in the second half.
- 19th time this year (21 games) and 104th time (147 games) in total to reach double figures (11 goals)
- Double-figure scoring for the second year in a row (11 goals), third time this year (21 games), fourth time in his career (96 games)
- Most goals of the season (team-high 21), last time: 19 vs UTRGV (26 Nov)
- First 20 goals of the year (21 games), 13 career goals (132 games)
- 11th time this season and 69th time in total to reach double figures