The story of Carlos Correa continues.
Two weeks after Correa’s talks with the New York Mets stalled after it was revealed the Giants had previously suffered a lower leg injury, the 28-year-old Correa appears to be considering other options.
The New York Post’s Jon Heyman said Thursday night, citing sources, that after Correa and the Mets had “limited discussions” over the past few weeks, the Correa camp will contest at least one star shortstop service. He reported that he had “re-established contact” with the team.
“But two weeks into the discussion, the unresolved issues have at least prompted Correa agent Scott Boras to check with other teams,” Heyman wrote. “Incumbent [Minnesota] The Twins were… one of the teams that came into contact with Boras. ”
Despite renewed interest from other clubs, Heyman reports that “the Mets guys” are confident owner Steve Cohen will eventually acquire Correa.
The update comes hours after Heyman reported that Correa’s representatives and the Mets were in contact to include language additions or changes in the new contract that would reduce the risk.
“Assuming the Mets can add contractual language that protects them should the areas of concern flare up, some of the $315 million contract will be fully insured,” Heyman said. It is possible that
Heyman adds that both parties are still negotiating the possibility of allowing New York to convert part of the contract into a non-guaranteed bond, depending on the number of days on the injured list and other factors.
“Depending on how negotiations unfold, a new contract may not be fully guaranteed, but if a specific ankle injury does not lead to further problems during the term of the contract, Correa will You could have the potential to earn about the same amount across the board,” Heyman continued.
Correa is reportedly not interested in a restructured contract with New York, so it could take longer than expected before a final deal between the Mets and the shortstops representative comes to fruition. .
RELATED: Rosenthal anticipates major contract change for Correa Mets
San Francisco was about to introduce Correa as a Giants ahead of physical concerns, and Farhan Zaidi, the Giants’ president of baseball operations, said on Dec. 30 that the deal with Correa was “based on their position. It’s pretty unlikely,” he said.
But however Correa’s story ends, baseball fans have to agree that it’s one of the most unique circumstances MLB has seen in recent years.
Download and follow the Giants Talk podcast