WEST LAFAYETTE, IN — Purdue Basketball will take to the court for the first time in 2023 and look to remain undefeated when they take on Rutgers at Mackie Arena on Monday night.
The Boilermakers win not only gives the team a 3-0 record in Big Ten play, but also marks the first 14-0 start in school history. The Scarlet Knights will face the winners of their last three matches. However, they are yet to win away from Jersey Mike’s Arena this season.
Purdue coach Matt Painter said, “It’s not one particular thing that gives them the most trouble, it’s how hard they played.” They compete on defense and play to win, and they play the right way.”
Here’s everything you need to know before the game, including game times, TV info, and Rutgers coach Steve Piquel.
How to watch Purdue vs. Rutgers
- Who: Purdue Boilermakers and Rutgers Scarlet Knights
- what: In his first game for Purdue in 2023, he will return to Big Ten play after wins over Minnesota and Nebraska early in the season.
- when: Monday, January 2nd at 7:00 PM ET.
- where: McKee Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana.
- tv set: big ten network
- announcer: Brandon Godin, Robbie Hamel
- Live stream: fuboTV (start free trial)
- wireless: Wazie (96.5)
- Radio announcer: Rob Blackman, Bobby Liddell, Wes Scott
- Records from last season: Purdue is 29-8 overall, including 14-6 in the Big Ten. In the NCAA Tournament, the team defeated Yale and Texas before losing 67–64 to St. Peters in the Sweet 16. NCAA Tournament.
scroll to continue
meet the coach
Purdue: Matt Painter is in his 18th season as head coach of Purdue Basketball. He owns his 397-192 overall record in the program, including his 196-115 mark in the Big Ten. With his three more wins, Painter could become only the fifth coach in Big His Ten history to win 400 career games at a conference school, joining Bob Knight, Tom Izzo, Gene Keady and Lou Henson. .
Painter began his career as a head coach in Southern Illinois, going 25-5 in the Missouri Valley Conference in 2003-04, dropping just one league game.
Rutgers: Steve Pikiel is in his seventh season at the helm of the Scarlet Knights, with an overall program record of 107-95. He led Rutgers to his NCAA tournament back-to-back. The team recorded his second winning record during the 2021-22 season with Big His Ten plays under Piquille.
Stay up to date on all things Boilermakers Country by liking and following our Facebook page. Sports Illustrated/FanNation’s Purdue Boilermakers.
You can also follow DJ Fezler at: @DJ Fezler on Twitter.