Daniel, the mother of United States Men’s National Team (USMNT) soccer player Gio Reyna, said Wednesday that she was the one who reported the incident between US soccer men’s head coach Greg Verhalter and his wife Rosalind in 1991. Told.
Reina says she spoke to United States Soccer Federation (USSF) sports director Ernie Stewart about the incident on December 11, during the 2022 Qatar World Cup.
In a statement obtained by ESPN and Fox Sports, Reyna said: I received forgiveness for doing worse things at the same age. ”
Reina mentioned that her son Gio recently had an argument with Bahalter.
One of the USMNT team’s most successful young players, Gio Reina made nearly 100 appearances for Borussia Dortmund at the age of just 20, and had an unexpectedly limited role in Qatar.
According to multiple reports, Burhalter was disappointed in Reina’s efforts before the tournament and considered sending him home midway through the tournament.
On Tuesday, the USMNT announced it had hired a legal team to investigate Berhalter for allegations of improper conduct.
Burhalter released a statement Tuesday through a Twitter account signed by the head coach and his wife Rosalind. .
Burhalter said he kicked his then-girlfriend, now wife. He described it as a “shameful moment” that he “regrets to this day”.
The football coach who led the US team in Qatar said someone contacted US Soccer during the 2022 Qatar World Cup threatening to “beat me”.Berhalter named Danielle Reyna in a joint statement. did not.
“People can make mistakes and learn from them. People can also forgive their mistakes,” Berhalter wrote in a joint statement. rice field.
“The intention of this statement is to provide transparency and to emphasize that one wrong decision made by a teenager does not necessarily define the rest of his life. I’m not going to hide from now on.
Burhalter said he and his wife are cooperating in an ongoing investigation into the allegations.
“We take this opportunity to share what has shaped us and how much we have grown and learned over the last 31 years,” the statement concludes.
US Soccer said it began a “complete overhaul” of its men’s program last month.
On Wednesday, Stewart announced Anthony Hudson as interim head coach of the men’s national team and the organization will review its program.
Burhalter’s future in US soccer remains uncertain. Appointed in December 2018.
On Wednesday, US Soccer said:
“The unique November-December timing of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar has significantly reduced the time the federation has to conduct a proper evaluation before the head coach’s contract expires. .”