“Boxing Tonight” MeWeekly magazine gives you a sneak peek of Saturday night’s action in the UK and abroad, with details on how to watch and what to watch out for.To receive exclusive interviews and boxing news straight to your inbox, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.
The battle has begun. The promise to be the 2023 mammoth for Garbonta Davis was called into question after he was arrested in December, but his subsequent retraction has paved the way for a bout with Hector Luis Garcia. opened. He’s one of the biggest lightweight showdowns of the year on their wings.
Davis was arrested in Florida on domestic violence charges and immediately issued a statement denying the allegations. While my emotions were running high, I made unnecessary calls to law enforcement in a frenzied moment of frustration, and Gerbonta did no harm to me or her daughter.
“Today we have sought the help we needed to move forward in life. We are confident that the co-parenting dynamics will be successful with the counseling provided to us.”
Davis, or “Tank,” is now focused entirely on getting past his first Garcia, not allowing the WBA’s usual defenses, and derailing huge statements to Haney, Lomachenko, and others.
“When you go into a fight, any opponent is dangerous,” he said of Garcia. “He trains hard and I know a guy like Garcia isn’t just on his feet. He’s been training for me for a long time.” You can’t knock everyone out at once. You have to show that you have more than punching power. I have skills that match my boxing IQ.
“Hector is a wholesome fighter who has beaten some top players. He is a durable guy who comes into the fight. No. If you sleep on top of him, he may make you sleep.
Of course Davis is right. Garcia has scored upsets before, the most memorable being last year’s prospect Chris Colbert. Tank is an entirely different prospect, but it may not be all that different from what awaits him when he takes on Ryan Garcia on April 15. The ink is almost dry.
Ryan Garcia, on the other hand, chose to wait his time. Instead of facing the challenge of former IBF world title challenger Melcito Gesta sharply this month, he decided to wait it out. increase.
Apply Meboxing newsletter
boxing tonight teeth Me‘s weekly Saturday night battle – and it’s FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER NOWEvery week we talk about the biggest battles in the UK, US and beyond with exclusive interviews and analysis. Meboxing writer.
can sign up here You can receive it straight to your inbox on Saturday morning.
More on Davis vs. Garcia
- date: Saturday, January 7th
- venue: Capital One Arena, Washington DC
- Combat time: The main event ring walk is scheduled for around 4am UK time.
- TV/Live Stream: Broadcasters for the event in the UK have yet to be confirmed, but in the US the match will be streamed by Showtime.
- Undercard highlights: Former two-division world champion Demetrius Andrade could score a big knockout against Olympian Demond Nicholson.
- Me predict: Despite the build-up and Garcia’s attack, Davis stopped him in the later rounds
- Jaron Ennis vs. Karen Chukajian.welterweight
- Rashidi Ellis vs Roiman Villa; Welterweight
- Demetrius Andrade vs Demond Nicholson.super middleweight
- Eddie Hahn said Dazone The boxing show says it’s a ‘fact’ that Connor Benn will be back in the ring by mid-2023. That was after the 26-year-old filed his 270-page document with his WBC to clear his name. Having him confirmed with a positive test that stopped him from a catchweight match with Chris Eubank Jr. sounds like the biggest sign yet.
- A rematch between Josh Taylor and Jack Catterall is scheduled.The fight was announced at a press conference in London earlier this week, giving Caterroll the chance to finally avenge the controversial points loss.
- Billed as the future of British heavyweight boxing, 18-year-old Moses Itauma has signed a professional contract with Frank Warren.
- Former Olympic gold medalist Yuriookis Gamboa jailed in connection with deadly car crash on New Year’s Eve