The Chicago Cubs made a splash this winter. They added shortstop Dansby Swanson, starter Jameson Taillon and took the flyer in Cody Bellinger. Cub has improved a lot.
However, all of these signings were made in 2022.
Here are three bold, perhaps too bold, predictions for what will happen to this franchise as we head into 2023.
1. Cubs add Rafael Devers
Isn’t this a surprise? There has been a lot of talk lately about a possible third baseman trade with the Boston Red Sox, but is that a reality?
For the deal to work in Chicago’s favour, the front office would need to offer Devers a long-term contract extension. At first glance, the move seems at odds with the Cubs’ recent approach of avoiding spending long years and money on players. But Devers is a generational talent and will soon make Chicago’s lineup one of the scariest in the division.
2. What a revived Bellinger will bring to Chicago
Not all gambling pays off, especially the $17.5 million gambling. But I feel the Cubs have defied Bellinger’s will. The 2019 National League MVP dropped significantly from the 2019 season, much of it related to a lingering shoulder injury.
With that seemingly behind him and the fact that Bellinger should benefit from less stressful conditions in Chicago, we predict Bellinger will return to form and help push the Cubs to new heights. doing.
it brings us . .
3. Cubs qualify for postseason
It’s the boldest prediction ever, but we’ve seen how the expanded playoffs have benefited teams like the Philadelphia Phillies last season. Last season, the Phillies carried his 87 wins to the playoffs and carried that momentum into the World Series.
Chicago has improved significantly and any additional moves this winter or at the trade deadline could push them into contentious territory.
Anything is possible!
Happy new year. Thanks for following along with us on Inside the Cubs last season!
More from SI’s Inside The Cubs
- Can Mike Trout ask the Chicago Cubs to trade him?
- Did David Robertson make the Cubs a future star with Ben Brown?
- Horner is a future Cubs shortstop
- Cubs could give Canario a chance in September
- Can the Cubs Acquire Trea Turner in the Offseason?
- Chicago Cubs named new top contender on rankings
- Is this top Cubs prospect headed for Wrigley’s mound?
- Steele gets a glimpse into the future of the Cubs rotation
- Do the Chicago Cubs have the best bullpen in the National League?
- Could Christopher Morell be a long-term solution in center field?
Be sure to follow Inside the Cubs. twitter!